Monday, March 11, 2024

Scientology memoirs.

Years ago I read pretty much all the Scientology-defector memoirs out there, but somehow I missed that a number of them have been published over the past 5-6 years.

So, lately I've been obsessively catching up on like the 6+ that have come out since the last time that I paid any attention, they're just so readable.

It's like this whole comforting repeated narrative arc: encounter with the religion, attraction, time with Hubbard on the boat, moving to land, rise of Miscavige, "The Hole."

But, there's always something different, too.

It's interesting, too, because it's actually at the point where multiple high-level people mentioned in different books have all left and written memoirs, now, so sometimes you see someone mentioned, and you're like, "Oh, they wrote a memoir, too, I read that!".

With the last one that I think I read before this, it was by a woman who had later come out as (lesbian), and then her one (non-Scientologist) composer/producer lover she started dating -- who, incidentally, wrote the McDonald's "I'm loving it" jingle -- also wrote a memoir, so you could go and read them both, which I did, though the last one wasn't related to (Scientology) and had more literary pretensions and it was like pulling teeth, to finish.

Anyhow, I was reading both of those back when I was working at the one resthome that I used to work at, and, like I so often did then, I was talking about what we were reading with my one (skeptical) (Mexican) coworker, and when she asked me in turn what I was reading after I had asked her, I told her about these two memoirs.

"So they both are in a relationship, and they both wrote a book?", she was like, floored.

"Yes," I was like.

"That is crazy," she was like, still floored.

. . .

No comments: