Friday, March 22, 2024

Romance languages have become a blender in my head.

And (Italian) is pushing me over the edge.

Like, I started spelling the (Spanish) recordar with "ri-" at the beginning, and the other day I was talking with a (Guatemalan) coworker at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now, and instead of saying conmigo for "with me," I said con me.

I think that once in such a conversation I also said la tuya something-or-another, when trying to use the basic (Spanish) possessive construction with a feminine noun, and I've also started saying (Italian) day-names sometimes, like lunedi for "Monday" instead of lunes.

Conversely, I sometimes f*ck up (Italian) with other (Romance) languages, like instead of saying ho visto for "I saw," I always want to say something like "ho veduto" like the (Romanian) am vazut.

I suspect that people think I'm on crack, to the extent that they come across this.

No comments: