Monday, February 26, 2024

Crime close by.

So, this was the "crime close by" calculus from my two recent trips back to the city that I used to live in:

On my one day-trip there for a museum exhibit that was about to close, there was a headline-making shooting four blocks from where I was walking downtown, a half hour before I arrived by train.

And, on my next trip there to see a stadium concert, within a week of when I visited, there were two robberies very close to where I had visited my one (half Sudanese) (half British) friend (the sister of the brother-sister pair) and her family, and another robbery right near a major intersection of the hostel where I've been staying at and walk by all the time, and two more robberies up by a close-to-the-hostel business strip where I have gone to get food before and where I was by there on that trip two different times for coffee and dinner.

That's just an absolutely insane amount of crime activity close to places where I'd recently been, especially in such a short span of time, and especially considering how traditionally safe those areas have been.

It's like I saw someone saying on social media the other day, crime levels for that city used to be exaggerated and if you had your head on straight and kept your eyes open nothing would ever would happen, but now it feels like just by being there you're tempting fate.

No comments: