Sunday, December 24, 2023

Coworker interactions (2 of 2): Music.

So, at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now, there's a new guy in the kitchen, this one (young) (Afro-Latino) (Ecuadorian) guy who you can just tell is very ambitious, and who is always behaving like he's standing outside of himself and is totally aware of everything that is always going on at once.

Like, he seemed preternaturally amused when late on one dinner shift I saw my one (evangelical) (Guatemalan) coworker standing against the ice machine and d*cking around on his phone, and I was like, "Menos telefono, mas trabajo, senor" ('Less telephone, more work, sir').

He also was cuing up salsa music to listen to while washing the dishes, and when I was back in the kitchen he asked me if I liked salsa music, to which I told him, "La mejor musica es marimba" ('The best music is marimba," i.e. the music that [Guatemalans] listen to), at which my one (shorter) (younger) (female) (Guatemalan) coworker just gave me a look and nodded, solemnly and knowingly.

He then said something about bachata, and my one (Guatemalan) coworker who we started the diablo joke about pretended to act dumb and was like, "Horchata?".

So, I started making jokes on that, and being all like, "No quiero bachata, prefiero horchata, soy un gordo" ("I don't want bachata, I prefer horchata, I'm fat"), to general mild amusement.

I think that will be my new joke anytime that someone mentions bachata music, acting confused and saying that I want horchata.

No comments: