Monday, January 16, 2023

Putting pieces together (4 of 4): Denouement.

Basically, after the one blow-up day, I realized that my one (Thai) (newlywed) coworker had probably treated the one (very short) (Guatemalan) cook very badly at some point, and that was what was probably behind him telling me out of nowhere when I had first started working that he didn't like her.

I wasn't sure what to do at first, and so I thought that I'd just be quiet and tolerate everything if I had to work with her again before she left, but then I decided I'd rather not, so I texted the boss on the one messaging chat when I submitted my weekly schedule and said that she seemed stressed out because she's moving and it was difficult to work with her and that if it was possible, I'd prefer not to work with her again.

(That way, I'd maybe not have to work with her again, and also, if she said anything to him or his wife, he was kind of forewarned that she was not behaving like her normal self, and that way she couldn't poison the well as easily and I could say that I didn't understand what was wrong, she had seemed upset at work, etc. etc. etc.)

And, he was cool about it and said there might be a few shifts, and I said that that was fine, thanks.

Too, me and my one friend with Thai background who I had texted about her were texting more, and they said that whenever they encounter a personality like that, they just don't engage, they just say "okay" and ignore them, since they're not behaving rationally and there's no right way to behave with them.

Also also, in thinking over my behavior, I should have just sucked it up and refilled the salad dressing rather than bait her, since her behavior was wildly inappropriate and fault-finding, and overall she was moving soon and it would have been better to do that rather than risk having some situation blow up at work and blow back in my face.

Then, the last week, I did end up having like 2 shifts scheduled with her, but with the one, her husband filled in like they sometimes do, and then the 2nd was cancelled because of the extreme cold we were having.

So, to smooth things over and since I'd never have to see her again, I texted her to stay warm and safe travels and enjoy their vacation on the way back to Thailand, and she said bye or something like that.

And, done.

What a nasty way to leave a place behind you.

Also, in the future, if someone ever brings up with me out-of-nowhere that they don't like a person, I should have one simply question for them: "Why?".

Rather than assuming it's them, maybe it's them trying to warn me.

No comments: