Thursday, January 5, 2023

Pleasant ex-coworker thoughtfulness.

Like last month I got an email from the retired school nurse at the resthome that I used to work at.

She said that my one (placid) (Tibetan) coworker the other morning was helping her, and she asked her if she had heard from me, and she started reminiscing about how I'd ask her stuff about the (Tibetan) language, and so the school nurse filled her in on everything that was happening with me, about how I was no longer working in healthcare for now, but was instead working at a (Thai) restaurant near my house down in the college town that I live in now.

And, she said that they had a very pleasant conversation about language.

So, I went and texted my old coworker since I still had her number, and we chit-chatted a bit by text about everything.

I had sent her a text this fall when I was reading the memoir of a Uyghur woman who had been imprisoned in China, since the woman had said that everything started there when the Chinese government had brought in a nasty government functionary who was known for cracking down on Tibet, and I thought that was interesting, but my old coworker had never texted back, perhaps because she was busy or something, since sometimes we'd talk about China and Tibet and the Tibetan government in exile, and it was something that we would have talked about quite a bit in person, if I was still working at the resthome.

Anyhow, though, I thought it was very lovely of her to think about me and wonder how I was doing!

So often in my life I've noticed that I do that a lot for others, but so many others rarely do it for me.

No comments: