Thursday, October 13, 2022

Restaurant tidbits (3 of 5): Boss's wife.

Like has always been occurring since I worked for a long time in higher ed, I always inordinately fear when I start a new job that I will get arbitrarily fired for no reason at all on very short notice.

So, during my final (Thai) restaurant training shift on a Saturday night when they wanted me inside to see the food and get to know it and help pack stuff up (we have to do stuff like put bean sprouts and carrot shavings and a lime wedge on some dishes, and a cucumber slice and green onions on others), I started to get worried, since I ended up on the floor helping to bus tables and do random stuff for a very long time and so wasn't inside to help with all of that stuff, though when I ducked my head back into the kitchen when stuff had slowed down a bit and I could be back in there, they brusquely waved me out again, to go back to the floor and do whatever I was doing out there.

So, when stuff finally permanently quieted down and it was getting time for me to go, I checked in with the (Thai) owner's (Thai) wife, this (shorter) (stringy) woman with a (permanently tired) look on her face, to make sure that everything was okay.

"Because I like this job," I was like, "So if there's a problem, please let me know, so I can improve."

"Oh no," she was like, "Thank you, if you are not here, it will be big headache for me."

Also, at an earlier point in the evening, their (like middle school-age) (Thai-American) daughter was in to help at the counter, and when I went to go put a takeout bag on the table for drivers to pick up, she was like, "Excuse me, but that's unpaid, put it closer to here," since she noticed that I had mixed stuff up and wasn't following the system they have where takeout bags that are unpaid are closer to the counter, so no-one can accidentally pick them up and leave without paying.

They've also had like online order delivery drivers come up and take tips out of the tip jar, so it's also better to have those prepaid orders farther away from the register.

No comments: