Sunday, October 23, 2022

Parental visit (3 of 4): Meghan Markle.

Around the time that I met my parents on our recent visit, Queen Elizabeth had died, and, oddly, it turned out that my mom had a lot of things to say about the royal family, and especially "that Meghan."

(She has this whole thing about how she wants to stick it to the royals and she comes in there and she isn't there that long and she tries to go and make everything about her and do things her way, and how she had broken relationships in her own family and now she has broken relationships there, and how her own sister said she'd cause trouble and she's a troublemaker etc. etc. etc ... I texted these opinions to my one [half British] [half Sudanese] friend [the sister of the sister-brother pair], too, and she texted back something like, "hear hear," since she hates Meghan Markle, too.)

Anyhow, my dad doesn't follow the royals that much, and when Meghan Markle's name came up, he was picking his teeth with a toothpick and was like, "That's that half black gal?".

"No," I was like, "She's the half white gal."

And, he continued to pick his teeth with a toothpick some more, and then he was like, "No, she's the half black gal, you'd call her the half white gal if she was in a black family, but she's in a white family, so she's the half black gal."

And, he continued to pick his teeth.

No comments: