Saturday, October 1, 2022

Kitchen mishap:

The other week I was getting a plastic bottle of mustard out of the side rack on my fridge door, to squirt a bit into a bowl to eat with some pretzels, and as soon as I removed it, this long glass bottle of (good) (thick) (Polish) mustard slid down and shattered its bottom on the floor, scattering glass everywhere.

I thought for a brief second of trying to scrape out some of the mustard on the inside because it was large and thick and apparently undamaged, it was like this big placid glob hanging down from the middle of the jar, but who knows, the glass chips might have been forced up into it, and you don't f*ck with that, you could eat some of them and be bleeding internally or whatnot.

Anyhow, I had gotten that mustard on my last trip to the city that I used to live in...  I had gotten together with my one (Romanian) colleague and my one friend who does film stuff, and we sat out on the beach and drank beer and my (Romanian) colleague had brought kebabs he had grilled up, along with that mustard, not to mention some pickled vegetables and some warm sauerkraut and some warm shredded beets that he had picked up at a (Polish) restaurant as part of like a schnitzel special that he likes to get sometimes.

As always, he was exceptionally generous, and sent me home with a tupperware of some leftover food, as well as that jar of mustard, which I had my doubts about -- why would you buy a huge jar of specialty mustard? --but I have to admit was quite good.

No comments: