Saturday, August 6, 2022

Another memory of my recent interactions with a child:

I was on the one couch with her dad and baby brother, and my (half Sudanese) (half British) friend was on the other couch with her young daughter and she had pulled up a take-out menu online on her laptop to see what we could get for dinner, and when I came over to sit on the other couch next to her and check out the food and what we could maybe order, their daughter was like, "You can't sit here, you're a boy."

. . .

(That story stuck with me, because it jibes with news articles I've read that point out how from a very young age children tune in to gender roles and begin enforcing them; it's interesting, too, that she even categorized the very young baby as a boy, and grouped me and her dad together with him.)

No comments: