Friday, July 22, 2022

The local (Central African) community.

Over Fourth of July weekend, I looped back from a walk in the lake park just north of me towards the one brewery whose patio I sit out on, and I could see a huge stage set out in the back parking lot of the adjacent (Central African) foodstore, where in between huge billowing cloth dividers setting off the parking lot, I could see small round tables set up and palm-thatched umbrellas and a number of long square tables at the far edge, with a few (black) caterers here and there setting up trays.

Later, when I was sitting out on the brewery patio, I heard them tuning up the sound system as it got dark, and some guy saying "Bon swa! Bon swa!" over and over into the microphone a lot, as lots of (dressed up) (black) people near me were parking cars and getting out and walking around the building towards where the stage area was.

"That looks like quite the party," I said to the one (older) (townie) bartender who works catering events and knows everyone.

"You should have seen it Friday and Saturday," she was like.

And, she said that her daughter went to school with a lot of people from that (Central African) community, and the word was that a lot of the families came over here so their daughters could avoid female castration.

No comments: