Sunday, July 17, 2022

A word of comfort.

So, I have this one grad student unionization friend who's gone boho in Central Europe and has a nominal academic affiliation to get in, and then does remote editing work to earn money and get by.

"The economy is so f*cked," he's always like, "That dropping out is the only rational response."

Anyhow, like two springs ago he was in town to clear out his apartment that he had sublet for a year as a stop-gap measure, and we were able to catch up at that point, including around my plans to try to get dual citizenship in an EU country.

(I also was able to dump on him all my knowledge about what countries it's good to have ancestry from, and he's now pursuing dual citizenship through a great-grandfather from Italy, he's told me by email.)

So, anyhow again, at this one lakefront going-away party with pizza and beer and whatnot, towards the end of the night we had a bit of one-on-one time, and I was telling him that my default plan barring any major life changes is to maybe go try living abroad in a few years, though the timeline to get dual citizenship after you manage to file is still like another two years barring any major delays on their end, and at that point I was a bit despondent and was like, "Only, I hope by then that I'm still going to be young enough to get some ass."

"[My first name]," he was like, automatically and in a comforting voice, "A person is never too old to get some ass."

And at that, his eyes lit up and he chuckled.

No comments: