Wednesday, July 13, 2022

A story of the local economy, from my postman.

The other week my sitting out on the front porch of the front house and reading overlapped with my (West African) mailman delivering mail, and so we chit-chatted a bit like we always do.

When I told him I was getting ready to apply for jobs again, he told me that I should consider applying at this insurance office up by the highway, since they really need mail.

"I was filling in, I was delivering mail there, and I see this woman on the sidewalk, and she is smoking and crying and crying," he was like, "So I ask her what wrong."

And, he then told me that she can't find anyone to work the office, she's hired multiple people and trained them, and the longest that someone's stayed has been six days, and she's working so much to make up for that and it's just getting too hard for her.

"She tell me," he was like, "She is in the shower and she is washing her hair, and then there is hair in her hand, her hair is falling out from this!"

"But how much is she paying?", I was like.

"Fifteen an hour, all the hours that you want," he was like, "And a two thousand dollar bonus if you stay."

"Well," I was like, "That doesn't sound like that good a job, especially since you have to be on a computer all day and it sounds like there's too much work to do."

And, we both agreed that places just want to get their hands on you and work you to death, but not give you much in return, and that's the way that the world is just working nowadays.

"It's like my healthcare job," I was like, "Eighteen dollar an hour was nice for the unit that I was in, but then they wanted to change my job and put me in emergency situations with tougher work for the same money, and it's just not worth it."

No comments: