Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Library people (2 of 2): Old guy.

Earlier that same library session when I was doing some scanning up by the computer lab, there was a(n elderly) (mid-toned) (black) gentleman by a very nearby computer monitor facing me, and a library staff member was helping him with something to do with a document on screen --- and, when I looked, it turned out to be a social sciences CV in a country where I'd been reading about the language families, for my current research!! So, when he had finished and was getting up, I kindly asked him what exactly he studied, and I identified my own area of research. We then ended up chatting for quite a while about languages and culture, and it turns out that he's a library cataloguer at the university library near me. He also said (obliquely and kindly) that he was not impressed by his professors in graduate school, since they never cared about the students who truly wanted to learn. And he said that kind of out of nowhere, as he made a face and shook his head about academia, after I asked him more precisely what his professional role at the university was.

No comments: