Friday, December 3, 2021

A question about the Tibetan language:

Does it make gender distinctions in 3rd person pronouns, or does it just lump he/she/it together?

A few weeks ago at the resthome, my one (blocky-built) (older) (Tibetan) coworker was like "Ask her" about maybe getting them Coca-Cola when a (bed-ridden) (male) resident sent an end-of-shift call down for me to come up for assistance, since that (man) likes Coca-Cola and sometimes wants sips of it at night.

I'm thinking that maybe my coworker's mistake in pronouns goes back to some distinction that they don't make in Tibetan, which is why she said "her" about someone who's obviously a man. For someone with gender distinctions in pronouns, that's a very unnatural mistake to make, and my hunch is that it may go back to something in her mother tongue.

No comments: