Saturday, November 6, 2021

Crying (1 of 2): Visit with my parents.

Last month when I met my parents for a visit in this one college town in my homestate - that made the most sense to meet in terms of Covid precautions and whatnot - the first full day that we were there, we went to an archaeological museum, and after we had done that all day with a break for lunch, we took a meandering walk back towards downtown and the hotel, and my mom and I sat to stop and rest while my dad stepped off to go have a smoke.

And, my mother started talking about how when I was a high school senior I got a full ride to that school, and how they called me up to ask me what I wanted to go there, and all of these little details from way back then, many of which I had forgotten, and all of which were already more than two decades and more than half my life ago, and it was just like she was re-living and dwelling in that small thing from so long ago, and she was fully lost to the present.

And, I started crying, since she suddenly seemed so old.

No comments: