Monday, September 6, 2021

Cleaning up my life: Getting rid of books.

One of my big ongoing projects has been to clean my apartment top-to-bottom, mainly to go through some old files that I don't need anymore and create a new filing system for ongoing writing projects, but also just to prune down wherever I can.

I had already done this a few years ago with books, but I noticed that a few small shelves seemed less and less necessary, and a few scattered books elsewhere did too, and so I decided to take 20 minutes and look through everything once again.

And, there was a number of weird little religious books that I had picked up here and there or had been given that I liked the look of and were kind of quirky to have on my shelves, but they were more to have for appearances than to really use for anything ever. A few were from travels, too, like some books on spirit possession that I had picked up years ago on a trip to (West Africa).

I did have a moment of hesitancy, but ultimately I decided to stock them in Free Little Libraries to set off into the world. They have such a wonderful randomness about them, and I like the idea of that energy being loosed and set out there in ways that I'll never really know what came of it.

No comments: