Thursday, March 4, 2021

Resthome conversations: (Nigerians) in politics.

The other week at the resthome, I bumped into my one (heavier) (older) (Nigerian) coworker at shift change, and I asked her if she had heard about the one (Nigerian) economist who was going to be head of the World Trade Organization.

"No," she was like. "Who?".

So, I googled her and I showed her her name and her picture, and then she was like, "Oh, Iweala, no-one likes her, she stole a lot and then moved to Europe, she performs for people there, no-one likes her, that is why I didn't hear."

Then, she asked me if I had heard that Joe Biden has 3 Nigerians in his administration.

I hadn't, so I googled it, and I found out that she was right.

It was interesting that she knew this, I thought; she's never struck me as someone who's super plugged into politics, but I guess she mildly is, and news about representation must get around.

No comments: