Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Immunization (1 of 3): Lead-up.

In the lead-up to the first Covid immunization dose at the resthome, it was surprising how many people were deciding not to take the vaccine.

Most of them were (West African), too; some of the (Filipinos) seemed skeptical at first, but they mostly all came around, in a way that the (West Africans) didn't.

"I have Jesus in my blood," said one (Nigerian) woman who works nightshift.

Another (older) (heavier set) (Nigerian) nightshift worker, too, told the (older) (white) (townie) frontdesk worker that it's fine with Covid, if you get it you drink a tea made with lemon and ginger, no problem, that's what all her friends back home say.

"Really?",  the frontdesk worker was like to her, she said. "Are you telling me that, that you're smarter than all the scientists, and that's all you have to do? If so, you're dumb, because you could be a millionaire."

Later, I told that same (older) (heavier set) (Nigerian) nightshift worker the various reasons why the vaccine makes sense and why it's less dangerous than the alternative, and I added in that no offense, but to be perfectly frank, she should recognize that she's in an increased risk group for severe illness and death, because she's overweight.

"Overweight?", she was like. "No, I am obese, and I am not going to lose weight for Covid."

No comments: