Saturday, January 30, 2021

The depths of my stretching out groceries.

Since I'm putting off doing errands like getting groceries until 2 weeks after getting the 1st Covid immunization dose - that's when your immunity starts going up, statistically, and why risk anything when you're so close to more safety? - I'm in a situation again where I'm stretching out my groceries for like 2 months between going to the store.

Back at the very beginning of Covid, my one assisted living client with disabilities was dying for coffee creamer and had asked me to pick some up at the store for her when I was there, but there was none, and so I got her 2 cans of canned cream instead, and I told her to keep them and use them and if she didn't, I'd buy them back off of her and use them myself at some point to cook something with, like maybe some rice pudding or something.

So, I bought the canned cream back off of her, and I used one can to put in with rice boiled with cinnamon sticks and cardamom and some sugar and I made up a rice pudding kind of thing, and I've now eaten it a few times since, along with a little bit of salt sprinkled on top of it.

And, my coffee also started running out and I had already used up all of my canned instant coffee back during the last time that I did this, so I finally turned to the bag of roasted (Ethiopian) coffee beans that my one (cool) (Muslim) (Ethiopian) coworker had gotten me on her last trip home, and so I opened it up and I figured out that I could use that big Christmas coffee mug that my landlord and his wife had gotten me for Christmas as like a mortar along with the top and thin neck of a reusable drink bottle from the resthome as like a pestle, and so I used them and I ground up a lot of the roasted coffee beans by hand to use to get me through until I can get to the grocery store again.

The coffee has that nice (Ethiopian) flavor and is a bit watery from the rough grind, but it works, so hey, I'm managing.

No comments: