Sunday, August 2, 2020

Creative solution at the resthome.

Last month at the resthome, this one resident who can go off on tangents asked me if I had any ideas about how she can contribute to racial justice in the city, since she's concerned about that lately and she knows that I'm political.

So, I told her that the only current local campaign that I was aware of was where you call up county representatives and ask them to defund the jail, and she kind of made a little face and was like, "Naaaaah," and then she said that she's not sure that taking away money from police is the way to go, but if I thought of anything else, to let her know.

Then, like the next day, I got a text from some census volunteer, checking in to see if I had filled it out already, and asking me to remind my neighbors.

So, the next time I was in at work, I told the resident that maybe she could volunteer to send texts or call people so that they fill out the census, since people of color are undercounted and our state and city has less resources for stuff because of that.

She said that she was aware of the census undercount phenomenon, and she said that she liked my idea.

No comments: