Thursday, July 16, 2020

Final update on my one resthome coworker's new book.

So, like a week after I loaned that escaped Mormon polygamist wife memoir to my one (Mexican) coworker at the resthome, I came into work, and she was like, "I have your book," and she pulled it out from a cupboard in our office to give it to me.

"What did you think about it?", I was like.

"It's something to talk about it," she was like, and then she strolled off, since it seemed like she had something to do.

Later when we saw each other again when it was time to go deliver meals to all of the residents, I asked her again what she thought about it.

In so many words, she said that she liked it, but that she simply couldn't believe how people followed the prophet.

"But did you like the book?", I was like.

"What do you think?", she was like. "I read it in one week!" ("read" as present tense like reed, not "read" like past tense like red).

I then offered to loan her a classic biography of Jim Jones, but she was strangely resistant, and was like, "Maybe later."

"Okay, that's fine, I'll bring it in for you, and that way if you want it, you'll have it," I was like.

"No," she was like, "Give me time.  If I have a book like that, I read and read and read, all I want to do is read."

"But that's good," I was like.

"No," she was like, "I have things to do."

No comments: