Friday, March 13, 2020

Fond memory of a resident: Memories of her youth.

At the resthome, this one cool resident who grew up in (Austria) to a (Hungarian) family passed away a few months ago.

I only knew that she had spoken (German) in her youth and I had always just assumed that she was (German), but then it turned out later that she told me that her family was (Hungarian) and that she spoke (Hungarian) with them at home, though her husband was (German) and she never really had a chance to speak (Hungarian) outside of her girlhood home, it was just something from that brief time in her life.

Anyhow, like a month before she died, she discovered that she could find old (Hungarian) songs on YouTube, and she was just overflowing with delight and joy to not only hear (Hungarian) spoken again, but also to reencounter all of these songs from her youth that she hadn't heard in like 70 years or more.

I'm so glad that she found that, before she died.

She even sang me a snatch of a line, once, and helped me work through the (Hungarian).

No comments: