Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Honoring Tibetan New Year.

Tibetan New Year was Monday, and my one (older) (Tibetan) coworker had taught me how to say an appropriate greeting in (Tibetan), so I made sure to text my (Tibetan) coworkers who I had numbers for and one former coworker, too.

My one (soft-spoken) (Tibetan) coworker had also been telling me how when you wake up that morning you eat sweet rice pudding with cashews and have some sweet wine, which some people crumble a cracker into, and then Tibetans in my city usually gather at a hall and have that food over again there, then they have a big feast and watch dancing by older people and younger people and spend the day there to celebrate.

I asked her if eating sweet things like that was auspicious, and she said yes, it was make to the upcoming year sweet.

So, on Monday not only did I text all of them an appropriate greeting in (Tibetan), but I added afterwards in (English), "I hope that this year is sweet for you!", and I added in a few emojis like a piece of candy and an ice cream sundae and a starburst lollipop.

The responses I got back were all like "Thanks" and stuff, though my one (soft-spoken) (Tibetan) coworker wrote back "thanks" in (Tibetan), to which I responded "it's nothing" in (Tibetan), to which she responded with a thumbs-up emoji.

When we were talking, I also told my one (soft-spoken) (Tibetan) coworker that our (hyperactive) (Tibetan) coworker with an inappropriate sense of humor had told me that last year at New Year's they played bingo, too, and she was like, "Yes, that too, sometimes we do that."

She also said she'd take pictures for me, to show me her culture.

No comments: