Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Practicing Spanish with my one (Mexican) coworker.


As part of my job at the resthome, a few times a week one of us has to pass out juice and milk after dinner to the residents who order that as part of their residence bill.

And, since my schedule has been on the lighter side lately, I’ve been the one who tends to do that, since it's only fair to even out the workloads.

So, after I finished passing out the juice and milk the other week, then, I bumped into my one (Mexican) coworker in the office.

“Thanks for passing the juice,” she was like.

Then, like I sometimes do, I began trying to translate what she just said into Spanish, since she lets me do that and it’s helpful to me to find out how something is phrased or how she would translate something.

So, I was like, “Gracias por…

“…distribuir los jugos,” she was like, finishing the sentence for me where I had stopped since I wasn’t sure how something would go.

“Okay,” I was like, “Gracias por distribuir los jugos.”

Si,” she was like, “Gracias por distribuir los jugos.”

Then, suddenly, I put on a character and mugged a disgusted and in-your-face crazy dramatic face at her and was like, “Has olvidado las leches” (‘You forgot the milk’), then I threw my hands up to the heavens with an exasperated expression and was like, “Ingrata!” (‘Ingrate!’).

That got a laugh out of her, and she was like, “Ingrata!”, repeating ‘Ingrate!’ to herself and laughing.

No comments: