Monday, January 6, 2020

Discusson about our country with a Tibetan coworker.

The other week at the resthome I was talking with my one (block-y) (Tibetan) coworker about the direction of our country - she was born in Nepal to refugee parents, but is now an American citizen - and she agreed that it's difficult to know where things are going, and that people work so much and get so little in return.

She said, too, that like eight or nine years ago, she heard the Dalai Lama speak, and he said that the U.S. might not be great in twenty years.

"No way," I was like, and then I asked her exactly what he had said.

And, she said that he was giving a talk and he said that the U.S is a great country, but in twenty, thirty years, who knows. 

"I heard it," she was like.

"Oh," I was like, "Like an impermanence thing, like you never know when you're going to die, and a country can suddenly go downhill too."

"Yeah," she was like. 

Then, she was like, "He said that like eight, nine years ago, I heard it."

No comments: