Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Trip to Michigan (3 of 4): Chili on chili fries.

At the one hamburger place near the train station, I remarked how much I liked the chili fries, and the counterwoman said it was a frozen chili sauce that you could get now at different supermarkets if you knew where to look.

And, she went back in the back and pulled out a five pound tube and came back out with it, to show me what it looked like.

"Beef hearts," I was like, reading the ingredients.

"I know," she was like, shivering, "Yuck."

But then, she was like, "But it tastes so good."

I then told her that years and years ago that I had read that that was the secret ingredient in the chili sauce, but I wasn't sure whether to believe it or not.

"It is," she was like.  "I try not to think about it."

Later, at the nearby supermarket where I picked up a couple of the small tubes, this (old) (blonde) (pale) (blank faced) lady who worked there saw me getting the last two tubes from the fridge rack and without me inviting any sort of interaction with her she raised her finger and pointed to them and called out to me and was like, "That stuff is good."

"I know," I was like, and I explained to her that I was bringing them back to the city I live in so I can have them ready for people as presents.

She didn't say much to that, so I was like, "Because wouldn't that be an awesome present?".

"Yeah," she was like, nodding, all pale and blank faced.

No comments: