Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Resthome Coworkers and Languages (2 of 2): More for Me.

After my one (pensive) (Tibetan) coworker asked me for Spanish language book recommendations, just for the heck of it I decided to find some cheap (Tibetan) and (Amharic) phrasebooks online, so I could take them into work and have fun with them.

The (Tibetan) one arrived right before I was bringing in the (Spanish) ones for her, so I took that in, too, and I had a lot of fun with her and another (Tibetan) coworker who were working that day.

I already knew a few of the greetings, but I was able to look up topical sayings like "The weather is windy" and "This room is cold" and they got a kick out of that, and they also helped me with my pronunciation.

Later, too, at the end of our shift, I saw both of them sitting down, so I pulled out the little phrasebook and asked them in Tibetan if they were tired, which made them laugh.

From everything that I can tell about Tibetan, its pronunciation and grammar seem easy, though all the words are short and seem alike to me.

No comments: