Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Resthome Coworkers and Languages (1 of 2): More for them.

My one pensive (Tibetan) coworker asked me for advice on learning Spanish, since she also works in an upscale grocery store in food prep and her coworkers there largely speak Spanish in the kitchen.

First off, since she used to be a teacher back in India, she's very educated, so I quickly quizzed her on English vocabulary like "carnivore," which she knew, so I told her that it would be easy for her to memorize words like "carne" for "meat" because of similar vocabulary in English and Spanish due to Latin and French words in English.

Second off, I told her that I had a few good books that I'd bring in the next time that we worked, so I did, and she's currently looking through them and thinking about getting copies.  One is a nice little phrasebook that's set up well, and another is a larger, clear grammar, in case you want to dig in deeper on any particular aspect of the grammar.

Isn't it kind of cool, that this (Tibetan) woman from India who knows Tibetan and Hindi and English, is now learning Spanish?

What a wonderful world we live in.

No comments: