Wednesday, October 30, 2019

A new (Ethiopian) coworker.

So, this past month a new (Ethiopian) coworker started up, who's younger and thin and very dark and very very quiet.

So, me and her were talking some when our one (older) (stockier) (Tibetan) coworker was in the room, and for some reason our (Tibetan) coworker burst in and was like, "She likes country music."

And, we began talking, and it turns out that when she was in college in Ethiopia, she came across Don Williams on YouTube and became a country music fan.

I mentioned Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash, and she didn't know their names, but then she mentioned some name that I hadn't heard of.

"You should go to Nashville," I was like.

"What?", she was like, so I wrote the word out on a piece of paper and explained it to her.

"But she have baby!", my one (Tibetan) coworker was like.

"Are you married?", I was like.

"Yes," she was like.

"Do you have family here, or does your husband have family here?", I was like.

"Yes," she was like.

"Then your family will take care of your baby, go on vacation with your husband," I was like. "Tell him you want a vacation, and make him arrange the money and the hotels and the childcare."

"Easy to say, hard to do," my one (Tibetan) coworker was like.

Then, she was like, "You take care of the baby," and laughed.

I then talked more with my one (quiet) (new) (Ethiopian) coworker, and it turns out that she's only been in the country like three months.

Afterwards, I realized that I had forgotten to tell her about the new Ken Burns documentary series on country music.  I'll have to do that the next time that I work.  Maybe she'll watch, and if she does, I'm kind of interested to hear what she says. I wonder if she's realized yet how white it is?  Though, my one (edgy) (Ethiopian) coworker talks about herself and (American) black people as something different, so maybe she doesn't think about things quite that way.

No comments: