Sunday, September 29, 2019

Hieroglyph interpretations.

The other week, I was showing my hieroglyphic flashcards to my one (half Sudanese) (half British) friend (the brother of the brother-sister pair), and I was telling him my whole schtick about how fun and comforting it's been to start learning Egyptian (I forget that Donald Trump exists for hours at a time!).

"Hmm," he was like, and then began improvising off the pictures that he saw.

"The prince stomps on rat," he was like, for the sign combinations that mean "East" (a bud that can look like a rat, a foot, and then a row of hills that sort of looks like a crown).

And, for the sign combinations that form the inflectional ending "-kwi" - a dish, a quail chick, and a little man - he was like, "Always give water to quail chicks."

LOL.

British humor.

It's quite funny to think of Egyptians chipping away at stone forever, to tell each other to always give water to quail chicks.

And a prince stomping on a rat is like a ridiculous riff on ancient history and what people commemorate.

I could never make original (British) humor, but I can sure recognize it when I see it.  It can just be so weird and ridiculous.

No comments: