Saturday, August 17, 2019

My one (Nigerian) coworker, on deep-dish pizza.

The other week a resident's son put on a big birthday party for her and we were invited to go up and have some food, and when I went up later to go check on the clean-up and to see if I could help, the son sent a box of leftover deep-dish pizza down for me and the rest of the staff.

I went to our staff office area to offer it to people, and the only person there was our one (Nigerian) supervisor, who I later found out had been invited up by two of our (Tibetan) coworkers to have some pizza but had said no, that he didn't like pizza.

"What is that?", he was like, when he saw me with the pizza box open and I asked him if wanted some to take some home.

"Pizza," I was like.

"This is pizza?!", he was like, and he held up a slice and looked at it and then held it out to me and began pointing out the layers.

"There is so much bread, there is so much cheese, there is so much meat, this is not pizza!".

He tried it, then, and he was quite the fan.

"What is this?", he was like, and then he flipped open the top of the pizza box and saw the local pizza chain that had made the deep-dish pizza.

"I need a picture of this," he was like, and he then took out his phone and took a picture of the pizza box top, to save for later so he always would know where that pizza had come from.

Our (Tibetan) coworkers came in around then and we started talking, and it turns out that none of them had ever heard about deep-dish pizza.

"I don't like pizza," our one (Nigerian) coworker was like, "It is cheese, and so much crust.  But I like this, I will go there one day and order some."

"It's like thirty dollars for one," I was like.

"But of course!", he was like, "There is so much bread, there is so much cheese, there is so much meat, of course it is thirty dollars for one."

No comments: