Thursday, August 22, 2019

Conversations between my resthome coworkers.

I'm very fascinated by when my resthome coworkers from different countries initiate conversations among themselves.

Especially lately that's been happening between my one (male) (Tibetan) coworker and a few of the (Ethiopian) women.

Like a month or two ago, him and my one edgy (Ethiopian) coworker were talking about if driving Uber and Lyft was worth it.  He said yes it looked like it, but she said no, be careful.

Like this week, him and her and my one (Ethiopian) coworker with a veil were having some intense conversation when I came in to sit down for the staff meal, and right away my one edgy (Ethiopian) coworker sticks out her finger and makes a circle around the tip and asks what that is.

It quickly becomes apparent that they were talking about my one (male) (Tibetan) coworker's new baby, so I was like, "That's a foreskin, and when you cut off the foreskin, that's circumcision."

"Circumcision, that's it," my one edgy (Ethiopian) coworker was like.  "In our country, no, but him, his baby, yes."

"But you have to understand, it's better that way, it's natural," he was like to her, and then they started talking again intensely as my one (Ethiopian) coworker with a veil asked me about the U.S. and about me.

I told her about standards in the U.S. but otherwise demurred, and I quickly left that conversation.

No comments: