Friday, May 31, 2019

Resthome coworker trivia (2 of 2): True crime in the Philippines.

The other week, me and my one private assisted living client with disabilities ended up watching a true crime show on TV together, and part of it involved a 1960s case from the Philippines where a body of a woman was found neatly dismembered in a couple of places and the case never ended up being solved.

On the show they were saying that the case was famous there, but you never know with those things, so the next time that I was at work, I went and asked a few (filipino) coworkers about it.

The very first one I saw not only knew the name of the victim, but also the slang deriving from the case, "She was a chop chop girl," she was like.

One other person had vaguely heard of the case, and yet another when I described it mentioned "chop chop ladies," which I took to be a (filipino English) general category dialect term for dismembered female murder victims.

I found that slang a bit f*cked up, to be honest...  To say the victim "was a chop chop girl" makes it almost like her whole life was just that, or that there was something in her that brought out her disposability and fate.

That said, the term's vividness is something else, though.

"Chop chop girl."

No comments: