Sunday, May 26, 2019

Inappropriate humor of my one (Tibetan) coworker (3 of 3): Interjection.

Later that same week, me and that same coworker and another coworker were moving a resident in bed who had a cast on, and I guess I was saying the (Midwestern) interjection "Op!" or "Op op!" as we were moving her, since I wanted us to do it very carefully, since she was in a lot of pain and we had to be careful so we didn't hurt her and make her in any more pain.

"Op op op op op op op, op op op op op op op," my one (Tibetan) coworker with an inappropriate sense of humor was like, imitating my tone of voice, "That's what you sound like."

And, she smiled devilishly.

Our one (Ethiopian) coworker who was with us I guess hadn't noticed what I was saying and so was confused, so I explained to her how I say "Op!" or "Op op!" when people have to be careful or watch out or if a mistake is made, and how it's something that English speakers in the Midwest do, if they grow up in certain parts of the region.

At that, she shook her head and just laughed lightly, the sound sounded so ridiculous to her. 

She genuinely found it ridiculous and funny.

No comments: