Tuesday, January 15, 2019

A Rastafarian on the subway the other day.

The other day, this (older) (black) guy with dreads and a bright red, yellow, and green knit hat with a pot leaf on it got onto the subway, and he sat down across from me on the car.

He had this really nice light brown wood staff with him that was made from a single piece of wood that had been carved into little discrete squarish bulb sections, and one had an ankh carved on it, and some of the others had other little stuff carved on them that I can't remember, like the letters of some name of G-d.

"That's a really nice staff," I was like.  "Did you make it yourself?".

"Yes," he was like.

"That's cool," I was like.  "Are you a part of some religion?"

"Rastafarian," he was like, crisply and shortly, but not really meanly or brusquely.

At that, I just nodded.

I had seen some stuff about Rastafarians on TV lately, but for some reason I didn't think it was appropriate to tell him about that.

No comments: