Thursday, November 8, 2018

My joke with a new (Ethiopian) coworker.

My one new (Ethiopian) coworker at the resthome is like 24, and her name is "Zabiba."

Like I always tend to do with people from different ethnicities, I asked her if her name meant anything, and said that it was an Arabic word meaning "raisin."

That surprised me, and then I said that she was too young to be "Raisin," that that might work for when she's old and wrinkled, but it doesn't work now, she should be called "Grape" instead.

She laughed and enjoyed that joke a lot, so the next time I worked with her, we were talking about "Raisin" again, and me and her looked up the Arabic word for "grape" on my smartphone.

It's something like "Enab," which when she saw it she realized she had heard it before.

So, now I always call her "Enab."

She loves that joke, and just finds it funny.

No comments: