Saturday, January 20, 2018

Pet industrial complex.

The other week I popped over to a local pet store to get some cat calendars for gifts, and I ended up chit-chatting with the workers there.

One was involved with adopting feral cats to get them acclimated to people before they got permanently adopted out, and she was saying that she would only take the cute and mild ones, since that way she wouldn't get attached, since she tends to like a cat who's a "bitch."

The pet store owner was also telling me about how cats should eat wet food and not kibble, and when I was telling her about a friend's cat with a bladder stone, she said that that was because it was eating kibble and that wasn't natural, and then when I said they had gotten special food from the vet, she said that of course they had, the vet made a lot of money that way, they had special deals with the pet companies and the pet companies gave them training and junkets and whatnot.

"Damn," I was like.  "I had no idea."

Then, I was like, "This is like the pet industrial complex."

"It is," she was like.  "Big pharma is everywhere."

No comments: