Sunday, January 14, 2018

A story of seeking full-time work nowadays.

The other week I hung out with my one (half British) (half Sudanese) friend (the sister of the brother-sister pair), and out of nowhere she was like, "I'm worried about you."

I asked why, and she said it wasn't anything in particular, except that I had been working so many jobs.

"I did that for years," she was like, "and it was just awful."

I then realized that I had never had asked her how long she had been looking for work after law school, until she got to her present job.

As it turns out, after graduating, she spent THREE YEARS looking for work and at most getting short-term jobs reading contracts.

Then, at the end of three years, she finally got a stable gig, where she could work indefinitely for 37.5 hours a week for a little bit more than fourteen bucks an hour, and no insurance, but vacation time and whatnot.

"That was such a huge load off my shoulders," she was like, "Just to have access to the hours."

She also said that she had set for herself a limit, that she wouldn't do that job for more than a year, and would leave if it didn't become full-time.

As it turns out, that's what did happen, right around a year in.

"But all this debt," she was like, "And I'm not in the area or job I had hoped to be in."

No comments: