Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Boxing up some books.

Over the holidays, I cleaned my apartment top-to-bottom all at once, which was like the first time that I had done that in like a year, and definitely since I had finished my dissertation and graduated.

What with my deciding not to pursue any academic jobs at this point in time, a lot of my books seemed different now, and distant, and since they were gathering up a lot of dust on the tops of them, I decided that I'd use some of my empty plastic boxes to box them up in, so that I still had them if I ever needed them, but so that I'd have less clutter around my room and I wouldn't have to dust them so often.

After I picked out a lot of books - more obscure languages that I hadn't touched in a while, and medieval stuff, and some teaching copies for classes I didn't create - I noticed that what was left was dead languages, and the historical Jesus, and cults, and weird sex.

In other words, all the stuff that made me undertake advanced study in the first place.

It was like I was cleansed of all the peripheral shit, and my core self was there, strong, with that period in my life behind me, since it was now all boxed up with the other books.

I put my diploma in that box, as well.

No comments: