Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Two public transit stories from like a month ago:

1) When I was leaving campus after a very long day, it was snowing heavily, and as I was chit-chatting on my cell with a friend as I got on the bus and was swiping my farecard, the (African-American) (male) bus driver was like, "Hey man, could you step outside and shake the snow off that wiper?".

And I did.

"Thanks, man," he was like.

2) A few days later, this (younger) (yuppie-ish) (white) woman was having trouble swiping to get into the subway stop as I was going in to work in the morning, so she was like, "Hey, can I scooch in with you? My card's not working."

So, I swiped, and we got in close, and shimmied around through the revolving metal grate together, and both get into the subway stop with only my fare.

(Though, as I did that, I wondered if I would have done it if she was black and more poorly dressed.)

No comments: