Sunday, January 15, 2017

Convo with an everyday worker (1 of 2): Drugstore checkout machine tender.

The other week, I was at the drugstore and was waiting in line for the checkout (there was an open machine and I went for it only to see that it was broken, and then I hung back in line and had to wait), and I started talking with the (older) (white) woman who stands watching over the checkout machines.

"That one's broken?", I was like, to double-check.

"Yeah," she was like, "And if it's not her, it's another one, they can be moody like that."

"Okay," I was like.

Then, I was like, "How do you know she's a her?".

"Woman's voice," she was like, "Plus she's moody like a woman."

We chitchatted a little bit about how the machines are moody, then I started telling her about how a friend in the Pacific Northwest's grocery store took out the automatic checkers because of too much theft, like how people would ring up organic fruits and vegetables for regular prices.

"Oh, I believe it," she was like.  "We get that here, someone sees me busy and they try something, but I know they'll do it and so I turn in time and catch 'em, you have to be like that all the time and can't let your guard down, otherwise they'll get away with it."

Then, I bought my stuff and left.

No comments: