Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The fragility of millennials.

I find the fragility of millennials interesting, after having seen it in both students and a tenant in my building.

They can never brook contradiction, and don't understand respectful behavior.

I remember once a few years ago at the gym this (young) (Asian-American) college student was just sitting on a piece of equipment towards closing time in contravention of posted rules and diddling on her phone, and I asked her nicely to move, and when she told me to wait, I reminder her of the posted rules, and when she told me to wait again, I reminded her of the rules again and politely said I was going to go get a manager to speak with her.

At that, she flew off at me, and kept telling me that I didn't understand respect, and that "you have to give respect to get respect."

Which, was very odd, since she hadn't behaved respectfully at all.

In other words, she thought respect was bending to obey her will.

I've also noticed that when I was talking with students at the art school about possible legal violations, some of them who *had* experienced legal violations didn't understand that an accidental misgendering of a transgendered person wasn't illegal, and when we talked about it, the sticking point seemed to be that the person requested it and that that action violated their request.

In other words, they just assumed that laws automatically match their desires.

All in all, it's very odd, and I wonder if they'll grow out of it, or if the culture will change to match them.

No comments: