Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Interesting day in the neighborhood (2 of 3): Bathing suit shopping.

After that and then the grocery store, I bike up to a chain big box store to try to get a bathing suit and maybe some sandals, since my sandals broke and my bathing suit got a tear in the butt in it over Memorial Day weekend.

It's like 40 minutes till close on a slow weeknight, and as I go up the escalator to the second floor, when I turn to go to the men's section, it's now the boys' section, and I notice there's a mechanical cherrypicker moving signage, and a higher number of employees around here and there putting racks of clothing on pallets.

After I go pick out some bathing suits to go try on, I talk to one (late 30s) (black) (female) employee with a pallet, to see if I can get someone to open the dressing room.

"And why is all this going on?", I was like.

"We're remodelling all this month," she was like.  "And tonight's a big night, by tomorrow that dressing room will be over there in the corner."

"No way!", I was like.  "That means I could be the last person ever to change in that dressing room.  I got to take a picture and put that shit on Facebook."

At that, she laughed.

Finally, when another (black) (female) employee came to let me in to the dressing room, I made the same joke.

"I'll be like, 'Time for a selfie!'", and mugged as I mimicked holding a smartphone out, as we chit-chatted outside the dressing room.

Again, an employee laughed.

No comments: