Friday, April 22, 2016

Neighborhood sights: Scrap metal pickers.

Like two times during the past month, I've been walking right around my apartment, and have seen (Mexican) people in high-backed trucks coming out of alleys, the backs of the trucks full of old bikes and discarded metal and even trashbags full of large tin food cans like from big cans of pasta sauce, I could see through the plastic.

I think they're scrap metal pickers, and must go through the alleys regularly to find stuff to sell to scrapyards.

On the one hand it's kind of a shocking profession to find in a major American metropolis, it seems so third world and must be so low-paid, but on the other hand the environmental aspects and dedication of those workers is very striking and admirable.

As I was reading in something the Pope wrote, "All work is honorable" (if I remember his words correctly).

No comments: