Monday, March 7, 2016

Library Work Tidbits: Fun Day.

I had a fun day at my library job the other week.

As I got onto the staff elevator with my cart, an (older) (Chinese) woman and a (young) (Chinese) woman came out of it with a cart of books, mostly bound in bright red, and talking Chinese.

"Red books for luck in the New Year?", I was like, and both smiled genuinely and laughed.

For tasks, I had to shelve and then pull books, and for shelving, 1 of the books was the last book on the shelf and thus its number was noted on the aisle sign, and the next began high up on the next shelf  on the opposite side and thus was noted on the opposite side of the aisle sign.

Also, one of the barcodes that I was looking for ended in "...666".

Overall, my shelving and then pulling just flew, and I was able to order almost an entire cart full of books, shelve it, and then pull an entire cart full of books, and return to the office, in like an hour.

I wish it was an hour exact and with a full cart of books shelved, but instead it was less than a full cart, and an hour and five minutes, saddly...

Then, b/c I had like 25 minutes left to work till I hit my hours cap for the week, I started ordering some book carts, and had like 12 books left when I hit my limit and had to leave, which left me with a mild sense of failure at not being quite quick enough for meeting some speed record in library work.

I was telling a coworker that it was almost like a library triathlon or quadrathlon, and I was rocking.

No comments: