Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Musical Legends.

For a number of years now, my philosophy has been to see musical legends while you can, since even if you don't like their genre of music, it's a sign of respect, and people are called great for a reason, so you never know.

I've seen Brian Wilson now twice, Bob Dylan once (never again), Mavis Staples a few times (and I'd see her again), and most recently a famous blues guitarist who does a winter residency.

I'm not that much into the blues, but me and my one (white) friend from Mississippi headed up to see this guitarist, and I was blown away.

For one, he's both an immensely talented vocalist and an immensely talented guitarist combined, and either one of those talents would be enough for any other artist to be well-known.

Both in one person, makes someone world-class, and you can understand his reputation and all the honors he's received.

For another, he had a great sense of humor, and after busting out into "Inna Gadda da Vida", he then swapped the guitar back around onto his butt, and kept playing the riff with his butt.

It was an awesome feat, and this joke-y way to point out that he was so legendary and talented, he could play someone else's legendary guitar line with his butt.

No comments: