Thursday, November 5, 2015

An Interesting Late Afternoon-to-Evening Drinking (1 of 2): First Bar.

So, the other weekend after a matinee of animation shorts downtown, I popped through the one cozy but touristy bar that I like b/c you meet interesting random people a lot, where I had my 35th birthday evening.

I had texted my one Czech literature professor friend to see if she wanted to join me, since she likes that bar too, but she was busy with a one-day weekend conference.

Then, it turned out that the guy next to me was this older (white) (gay) dude from L.A. who had been coming to that bar several times a year for 17 years, and he had randomly met her there the previous night and was drinking till at least 8:30pm, the last time he looked up at the clock.

"When I woke up this morning," he was like, "The bed was covered in melted ice cream and Jimmy Johns wrappers."

Then, he was since back at the drinking, as of 11:30am.

One thing led to another, and it turns out that the guy had owned a lot of major gay clubs, including in L.A., and he used to date a cocktail waiter at Studio 54 and would go there a lot.

"We had a bicoastal relationship," he was like.  "Every time I went in there, Steve Rubell hated me."

He then said that years later, he walked out of his California apartment building in Palm Springs, and walking out of the apartment building across the street was Steve Rubell, who had moved there without either one of them knowing.

"It was like, 'Bitch, what are you doing here?!'", he was like.

"Wait," I was like.  "You said that or he said that?".

"I did," he was like.  "He said, 'You know that I came here just to torment you.'".

Later, at the guy's request, I texted my one Czech literature professor friend to find out what time they had left the bar previous evening, to which she replied -

 Hmm.  I'm not sure.  I ended up at McDonalds where I took pictures of everyone else sitting around me.  So sad.

. . .

She also wanted to know if the bar had her knit black hat, with kitten ears.

The older gay dude club owner went to the lost-and-found and looked for it, but couldn't find it.

"It wasn't there, and I do remember it," he was like.

He said at one point she put it on him, but he turned it sideways so it looked kind of like a Stegosaurus spine.

. . .

The old gay club dude also to used to have Madonna come into his club sometimes, back in late 80s or early 90s when it was the hottest club in L.A.

He said that she was always very nice when he greeted her when she came in.

She'd come in late at night, maybe for the last hour of the evening, when everyone had already started to clear out and go home.

She'd be enjoying the clubs again, as much as she could.

No comments: