Friday, August 7, 2015

Wonderful observation of a (black) woman.

The other day at an adjunct faculty unionization meeting, the social committee reported, and then in the subsequent open floor period everyone decided to chuck the proposed plans and do drinks instead on some weekend.

At that, as soon as I suggested a few good bars, a(n older) (white) woman was like, "You know, we could always use my apartment if it was a group like this," to which one of the union organizers immediately said it would probably be too many, since they'd guess there'd be at least double the turnout.

"But I love your heart," said this (mid-30s) (turbaned) (black) prof who was a self-proclaimed "Motor City girl" and who brought along an educator friend from her church in the suburbs...

Later, her educator friend suggested a prayer circle, and she led a prayer for the small group we were in, and spoke a lot about relying on G-d's wisdom, not the wisdom of man.

Later later, she also personally told me 2 bits of wisdom I like:

1) "For every preordained problem, there's a preordained solution."

2) "You've got to get through to get to" (i.e., you've got to make it through stuff in order to arrive at where G-d wants you).

I told her I liked both (aren't they great?!?), and even wrote them down in my notebook.

No comments: