Monday, August 3, 2015

A little piece of Manhattan.

A few weeks ago I stopped into this private club downtown that had recently been converted into a boutique hotel and contains no less than 4 bars (with a 5th to come).

Honestly, I felt like I stepped into a little piece of Manhattan, it was so over the top cushy and everyone there was so complacent in their wealth.

So, I spoke shit about class warfare to a few staffers, w/varying degrees of success:

1) When I asked the (middle-aged) (black) doorman if there was bars in there open to the public "since I had heard that", he not only began telling me yes, but started giving a spiel on the millions of dollars in renovations, the different types of bars, the craft cocktails and luxury restaurant, etc.

"You know, that's cool," I was like, "But honestly, we have starving children in this city."

He stopped, and then was like, "Yeah, and they tell us we don't have enough money for schools."

2) After the rooftop bar - where I saw a (middle-aged) (white) woman from the suburbs win a bet from a 24-year old businessman, who gave her $50 and a few loose bills! - I headed down to the bar in the luxury restaurant.

The (younger) (white) (male) bartender gave me a drink menu and then a food menu, and when I glanced at the food menu, he began telling me about all the imported this and all the imported that and how good everything was.

"That's nice," I was like, "But do you remember to save the scraps for the poor?".

He seemed put off, and later he stopped back by me and told me that there was actually a charity program that went around and collected left over food for the needy.

3) Later at the same bar, I started telling some similar line about scraps to the (younger) (white) (blonde) bartender, and she was like, "I know, really."

Then, she let me in to how she used to tend bar at some places in the ritzy neighborhood in the city.

"Oh, I've been there," I was like, when she mentioned a few bar names.

"Yeah," she was like, "But you're not competition to all the women fighting over the old guys.  It's like they're in middle school."

I also mentioned how once at this one bar this drunk (older) (white) woman at one bar was telling me she was going to call her married lover at home to challenge him and see if he loved her, and I kept gently suggesting to her not to do it.

"They always involve you in their drama somehow," she was like.  "And still some little part of you always has to step forward and be like, 'Hey, you know what, maybe that's not such a good idea after all...'"

No comments: